Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dollar Store Plastic Animal Bookends



faxu bronze animal bookends 
Here's How:
bookend materials

To make plastic animal bookends, you will need:
dollar store plastic animals
sharp scissors
strong craft glue
acrylic photo frames
spray paint (optional)

I was so excited to get started on this project, that I didn’t take a before picture of the plastic toys.  Whoops.  

To bisect the toys, I just pierced the animal in the midsection (this is beginning to sound like a biology lab) with my scissors, and cut all the way around.  I was careful to keep my cutline as straight as possible.

apply glue

One the toy was halved, I applied a generous layer of glue to the cut edge and stuck the toy onto the frame.  It took a little trial and error to correctly place the toy so that the animal’s feet touched the ground when the bookend was standing.

let glue dry

Once the animal halves were in place, I left them to dry.  This is always the hardest part for me.
childrens dollar store bookends

I think these tiger bookends are hilarious, but I can’t tell you exactly why.
tiger head bookend dollar store

Animal bookends would work equally well in a circus- or  a jungle-themed room.  If you are lucky enough to have a favorite professional sports team with an animal mascot (Go, Detroit Tigers!), these could even find a place in a teen’s room or Man Cave!

elephant and lion before

To take the project one step further, I hit an elephant and a lion head bookend with a coat of Krylon’s Oil Rubbed Bronze.  Satin-finished gold or antique copper spray paint would look very chic too.

elephant and lion after spray paint

The plastic toy and acrylic frame took the spray paint well, no priming necessary.  Just use a light hand on the frame to avoid drips.

dollar store faux bronze elephant bookend

I adore the curve of the elephant’s trunk.  I would be really surprised if a house guest could pick these out as dollar store toys!

For a funkier take, you could choose less traditional animals (my dollar store also had hippos and giraffes) and paint them in a trendy neon color.  It would be a snarky nod to the traditional animal bookend with a modern twist.

faxu bronze animal bookends

I hope you will give these bookends a try.  It’s a project that can easily be completed in an afternoon with such satisfying results!

Article Found HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment